Scenic Loop Cafe
Don Jordan
2004-09-12 04:40:25 UTC
I guess we haven't had many free weekends this summer, so we took advantage
of this one and hit another semi-new highly-touted restaurant.

The original site for Scenic Loop Cafe was established about 20 years ago, I
believe, starting out as Stallion on the Roof, and characterized by the
large sculpture of a stallion on the roof. It is located adjacent to the
equestrian center at Boerne Stage Road and Scenic Loop Road in far NW Bexar
County.

With limestone walls, tile floors and timber ceilings, the place is very
noisy. What was probably a dropped stack of dishes in the kitchen had me
shoving C- under the table and reaching for the butter knife as a weapon.
The clientele was well above hoi polloi, at least in their own minds. There
were obviously a lot of "Dr. & Mrs. ____" families there, not to mention a
little Britney Spears wannabe wearing her white riding outfit and a
permanent sneer.

The food? Well, after sticker-shock subsided, C- got the Chicken Fried
Steak with a side of macaroni and cheese, and I felt adventurous and tried
the Chile Relleno de Espinaca. We also had a couple of house Margaritas.
The Chile Relleno had nothing "stuffed" about it; the dish appeared to be a
butterflied poblano chile with lightly sautéed spinach on top of it, covered
with a thin but piquant and flavorful white cheese sauce. There seemed to
be a lot of stem in the pepper, though, as there were several unchewable
bites.

The CFS fared slightly better. C-'s only complaint was that the gravy
tasted like old bacon grease. I tried it and, to me, it tasted like new
bacon grease, of which I am very fond. I get to eat the rest of it for
breakfast. The Margaritas had a good balance of sweet, sour, and tequila,
and were quite good, though no better than most local handmade ones.

The service is best described as adequate but unimpressive, distinguished
mostly by an obvious lack of enthusiasm.

My biggest disappointment: they are pretentiously expensive. Chips and
salsa for $3.95? CFS for $14.95? Cheese enchiladas for $10.95? Filet
Mignon (8 oz.) for $23.95? You can get almost anything on the menu for half
the price, and (I'm assuming in some cases) equal quality at Los Barrios,
County Line, Outback, and any number of other local places. And the
top-shelf Margaritas, with which they probably won the Express-News Critics
Choice Award, are $9.00!

I used to hear the expression "self-licking ice cream cone" a lot, and this
place brought it to mind again; IMHO, they've been completely taken in by
their own hype. For us, it goes into the ranks of "been there, done that."

-DrJ-
Godzilla
2004-09-12 18:03:03 UTC
My biggest disappointment: they are pretentiously expensive.  Chips and
salsa for $3.95?  CFS for $14.95?  Cheese enchiladas for $10.95?  Filet
Mignon (8 oz.) for $23.95?  You can get almost anything on the menu for
half the price, and (I'm assuming in some cases) equal quality at Los
Barrios, County Line, Outback, and any number of other local places.  And
the top-shelf Margaritas, with which they probably won the Express-News
Critics Choice Award, are $9.00!
I used to hear the expression "self-licking ice cream cone" a lot, and
this place brought it to mind again; IMHO, they've been completely taken
in by their own hype.  For us, it goes into the ranks of "been there, done
that."
-DrJ-
Don! You shock me beyond comprehension! Haven't you learned the most
important platitude that is drummed into all members of our society?

"You get what you pay for!!!" <bg>

Godzilla
Don Jordan
2004-09-14 03:06:39 UTC
Post by Godzilla
Don! You shock me beyond comprehension! Haven't you learned the most
important platitude that is drummed into all members of our society?
"You get what you pay for!!!" <bg>
Godzilla
Frankly, SuperLizard, as a hard-core free-market libertarian, I believe in
that adage. What astounds me is what people will "pay for." Roseanne, Pet
Rocks, The Dixie Chicks, and all oher manifestations of style over substance
simply baffle my little neurotic brain. However, as sat.foodies, it's our
job to distinguish between those places that are popular because they're
good, and those that are popular because they're trendy. So, in the words
of Oat Willie, "Onward, Through The Fog!"

-DrJ-
David Wright
2004-09-14 17:24:42 UTC
Post by Don Jordan
Post by Godzilla
Don! You shock me beyond comprehension! Haven't you learned the most
important platitude that is drummed into all members of our society?
"You get what you pay for!!!" <bg>
Godzilla
Frankly, SuperLizard, as a hard-core free-market libertarian, I believe in
that adage. What astounds me is what people will "pay for." Roseanne, Pet
Rocks, The Dixie Chicks, and all oher manifestations of style over substance
simply baffle my little neurotic brain. However, as sat.foodies, it's our
job to distinguish between those places that are popular because they're
good, and those that are popular because they're trendy. So, in the words
of Oat Willie, "Onward, Through The Fog!"
-DrJ-
Well writ, Don. When I read your review, I thought that this place has
to be the antithesis of what Bullpepper's was. But, Roseanne has
style?!? <g>

David